Monday, August 4, 2014

Where One or More are Gathered

Several years ago I attended a cultural sensitivity training inservice where I was to learn about all the differences in the many cultures within Fresno, California. I was working as a Public Health Nurse at the time and had spent several years caring for families in their homes and felt I had learned quite a bit from these 'up close and personal' encounters. I sat for hours and listened to the instructor as she worked so hard to point out all the differences. I have never forgotten this inservice. Not for all the differences I would learn about or remember but for this simple fact: I am able to relate to others based on our similarities rather than our differences no matter where I am.

I had the lovely opportunity to connect with some wonderful women while in the village of Nawaido. I am not sure how this came about exactly but before I knew it we were sitting together on the floor enjoying a lively conversation! We talked about what most women talk about...our families, our day to day lives, our dreams. We laughed so hard, I cannot remember when I had so much fun with a group of ladies.

Gone were the differences of culture. These women from this very remote village had just caught buckets of fish with spears earlier in the morning. They picked vegetables and fruit from their collective gardens and worked together on the floor of the Chiefs house to prepare our meal.They cooked for thirty five us over an open fire. Life and culture were certainly worlds apart but when we came together...it was awesome.

I will not forget these ladies. They reminded me that life is for enjoying and being open to new opportunities. I can do this anywhere. I want to do it more often. While I am fascinated with culture I love the universal connection we made even more. Thank you for the afternoon girlfriends...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am blessed to know you! Love Laura