Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Rituals and Routines



For those of you who know me, I have been the butt of many a joke regarding my parsimonious nature. Those who know me well ‘lovingly’ refer me to as cheap. I have been known, for example, to reuse my Starbucks cups and straws a multitude of times before discarding them. It always made perfect sense to me to make my morning cup of coffee (while eating my breakfast and making my lunch for the day), run upstairs sipping it along the way and finish it up while in the shower while using their plastic cup. But, alas, I have developed a new routine. Cups with saucers.

Yes, I have come to grow accustomed to ritual of morning coffee served in a beautiful coffee cup with a saucer. And, let me tell you, not only does it feel better, it taste better too!
This routine demands that you sit down when you drink your morning cup. No need to rush as there is always something

beautiful to look at or some wonderful thoughts to ponder.

Conversations are also nice over the morning cup. Chatting while your hands are wrapped around a warm cup is also habit forming. All the things you ever wanted to say now come to the forefront and it is amazing how quickly time flies by.
Daydreaming is also nice while you are sipping along…what color shall I paint the living room to have it portray all the colors of the Mediterranean, how can I get a wisteria vine to grow on my balcony at home, etc.
Rarely do I rush through this event to get to the next thing on my ‘to do list’. I just savor the moment. It holds me over until the next time I sit down.
There is also a lot to be said about the aroma of a cup of coffee that is not inhaled while on the run. It smells deep and rich and when consumed either on the deck while enjoying your beautiful

surroundings or in front of a warm fire; sets the tone for the rest of the day.
And with that said, it’s time for me to get my cup and saucer and enjoy. Oh, and by the way Judy Long, I’m getting the picture. Thanks for your prayers, always.

No comments: