Thursday, October 11, 2012

An Old Soul

I was deep in thought as I surveyed all that the local market had to offer. This is the hub of the city and everyone is competing for your attention.The vendors work hard preparing their goods in hope that you will buy from them. You can not walk past them with out receiving an invitation of some kind. Amidst the excitement of all the busyness here I barely heard the small voice as she said, "I want no money Madame".  I wasn't quite sure I had heard correctly as this was the marketplace and your money is what they want and need. I looked around and again the small voice made the same request only this time she added, "I only want milk for my sister". Before me stood a small, nine year girl with an even smaller baby in her arms. I could not think of anything to say so I held out my hand and she led me away. We walked along the back streets and found a small market. We purchased a can of formula and she begin to tell me about her family. She was articulate in her conversations to me and held my hand the entire way as if to reassure me somehow that all was well with her.

We made our purchase and she walked me back to the spot she had approached me. She thanked me and asked for nothing more. In a few seconds she was lost in the crowd and I did not see her again. Except in my heart and prayers...

1 comment:

Dezerai said...

Such beautiful children! What a precious moment.