Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Sanctuary

After our days in Siem Reap we felt inclined to head to the small town of Battambang, Cambodia. No particular reason except we longed for slower paced days and an opportunity to merge into the culture and people that is Cambodia. And, while we had enjoyed being close to the hub of activity while in Siem Reap, we opted for a more rural destination for this venture. We chose The Sanctuary.




When I think of it, it seems only appropriate that this would be the place for us at this time. I found myself thinking the other day about our first sabbatical. We were on the Greek Island of Crete at a place called the Blue Beach. I remember the beauty of that place but more importantly was the fact that that day marked the four week anniversary from the day we had left. As I sat on that warm beach, surrounded by the beauty and serenity of the water, I felt myself escape from one life and into another. That had also been a time of change and transition for me as well.  I had gone from full time employment to part time and had used the time of travel to acclimate to the upcoming change and season of life that is semi-retirement. I again find myself on a similar journey and find that a Sanctuary is exactly what I need.

One of the things that makes these travels so successful for us is our ability to find the beauty and adventure of the moment we are in. People often ask where my favorite place has been and I always say the one I am in at the moment. We have to be flexible as our plans  often change by circumstances that we have no control over. We had planned to take a boat down the Mekong Delta to Viet Nam but there is extensive flooding in that area so we will find another way. We learn not to fret over these things but instead to embrace the change and new challenges and the  life experiences they will bring. We have never been disappointed.

So again, I am at this anniversary day... four weeks…twenty eight days…it feels like a lifetime has gone by since we left.  As we arrive our host meets us with an ice cool wash cloth infused in water and lemon grass to wipe the sweat and dust from our brow. He gives us a refreshing glass of lotus flower tea, iced,  in a beautiful silver cup and a plate of fresh fruit to quench our thirst and to nourish us. It has been a long journey and as I sit on the soft cushions  I am reminded in that moment that I am  under the care of One even Greater than my host. I am safe under His watch. He knows the plans He has for me. That change brings new opportunity to see and experience life differently.


As I sit in this sanctuary, I take the time to thank God for His Grace over me. I have a beautiful life and have richly enjoyed all the places it has taken me and embrace all that is yet to be. I am in  His sanctuary...

No comments: