Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Exhilaration

The next best thing to rest and relaxation is exhilaration. No matter which one you are experiencing at the moment one always makes the other better. Today we had both. One of our favorite things to do while we are at Sonaisali (aside from the lovely rest) is to Jet Ski and snorkel. Both are absolutely lovely here. Today we got to do both.

The morning started out beautiful. I remember sitting in the hot tub on our deck looking out at the ocean and not being able to distinguish the sky from the ocean. Both were the most beautiful shade of blue. The water was calm and a perfect shade of blue glass.

We ate our breakfast and met our guide Vetta who would take us out to some of the neighboring Island groups. We rented the Jet Skis for several hours and packed our snorkeling gear. The sun was warm on our backs and the water the most gorgeous shade of turquoise as we set off.

We headed off towards Plantation Island, which we can see from our deck each day. On the backside of the Island are the most beautiful sandbars and coral reefs so we parked our

jet skis and headed off to snorkel. Here we thank God for His kindness to us…the fish are the most stunning colors and so very abundant. Some of the fish boldly swim towards us and touch us and we are excited and lost in the moment of being in this place.

As we swim back we know that we have experienced something beautiful and are a bit reluctant to leave. Fresh pineapple and muffins await us on our jet skis and we feel ravished after our swim.

We ski amongst the Islands where I daydream of their beauty. I am so happy to be here at this moment and fully appreciate the beauty of Gods creation.

Suddenly the wind kicks up and Vetta tells us that a storm is coming our way and we must head back soon. We gear up and sure enough it hits us full bore. It is the most exciting thing ever. We ski through four to six foot waves and hit them head on. The salty water splashes across our faces and often times I am not sure where we are heading. I am reminded of the time we rode a tandem bike in Spain where I had to trust my driver so here I sit, hitting the waves full on with my eyes closed…and loving it! I open occasionally to see the rain and the blue of the sea. Vetta tells us there are giant turtles out here but I only see the sprays of water as they head towards my face.

We have made it back, exhilarated by our experience. I have filled our hot tub with warm water where we will still and soak up the rest of the afternoon. The rain pours off our roof as the waves crash on the shore and we are content in this moment.

I think a good nap is in next!

No comments: