Sunday, August 7, 2011

Shopping in Lautoka


Today we caught the local bus from Nadi and road into Lautoka. For $2.40 Fijian we had the ride of our lives! The bus stops are not well marked but we gathered where everyone else was and asked before boarding. We figured if we were heading in the right direction we couldn’t go wrong. And we didn’t. In fact we made it up and back a couple of times and began to feel like pros at it.

Today I am going have a new Sulu Chamba (traditional Fijian dress) made. My first one came from Lautoka and I hoped to have another one made. Although I would not be able to recall the exact location of the tailor I was sure I would find someone who could help me.

We met some ladies at a church picnic and I asked where I might find a seamstress. They were all quick to help and soon the consensus was the lady past the BSP bank on the road that curves to the right. No one remembered her name or the name of her shop but assured me I would find her with out a hitch. Sure enough, we did.

The shop was filled with hundreds of rolls of fabric and I could see the selection was going to be difficult. My favorite part was when she asked me to draw what I wanted and she would make it. I sketched it out and after a few loose measurements we were set. I said I would be back in a day and a half and she said no problem.

The completed dresses were beautiful and custom fit and the total cost was about $26.00 USD.

I have received many complements on the dresses from the local women just as Tom does when he wears his pocket Sulu and Bula shirt out. They appreciate that while we are here we are truly Fijian.

No comments: