Sunday, August 7, 2011

Favorite day


For the last two years we have been traveling with a wonderful young man named Josh Reeves. He is the Senior Pastor of a small church in Pollock Pines near Sacramento. He

has the wonderful gift of…wisdom. Wisdom well beyond his years of thirty- something. A conversation with him provokes deep thought and before you know it you feel as if he is a long lost friend and soul mate. He has taken the position of clinic manger/administrator for the last two years as Tom is now providing health care with me in the clinic. He does a wonderful job and we are so thankful for him.

After our workday we have a several hour bus drive back into the village where we are staying and often chat about our day. On the last day he asked me which was my favorite clinic and I had to think for a minute. There is always one place or event that captures my heart. Sometimes it is making a house visit to see a newborn baby or sitting with an elderly woman while she is dying. I can never predict what it will be but I thank God for the imprint on my heart.

We were in on of the poorer areas doing clinic in a lean-to just made by the local church. It faced the ocean and a cool breeze blew on us all day. The floor was just machete-cut grass and smelled sweet.

It was the next to last day of clinic and the day I began to feel a little tired. I remember that , for them, this is the first day that they have ever seen us, so I work not to let my fatigue show. A beautiful, strong looking Fijian woman in her fifties came in. She was wearing a beautiful red Sulu chamba; her finest I am sure. Many years ago I figured out that the women will wear their finest dresses to the clinic and so I too try to wear my finest Fijian Sulu chamba. I know that they appreciate this. I remembered that her health was relatively good and our visit went pretty uneventful until the end. I held her hand and asked if I could pray with her about anything and I felt such power and strength in her grip. We both began to weep and hold each other. I am not sure what was spoken between us but I felt such a strong bond with her. She also wanted the eye exam so I sent her over to see if we could fit her with a pair of glasses. Suddenly I heard a loud squeal of delight and looked over and saw the women in the red dress. She had found a pair of glasses that fit her perfectly! And then, she began to sing. Strong. Powerful. Very moving.

Her head held high she sang to us the song of her village and giving thanks to God for her blessings today. Upon her face sat a pair of donated eyeglasses, someone else’s discard. It was incredibly moving and we stood in awe as she sang out loud.

How many times I wonder, do I stand up and sing praises? Thanking God richly and boldly. Do I remember to be thankful for my life, my job, my health, my family, and my home to name a few? Do I dwell on the busyness or do I dwell on the blessing.

I will not forget her…I will not forget the sound of her voice. I pray never to forget my thoughts at that moment.

No comments: